Thursday, January 5, 2012

Potomac

This past summer the Brunswick Fire and Rescue invited me to come down to their area and fly the Potomac River. There is a 19 mile stretch that they patrol and during the summer months over 3000 people per day use that stretch of the river with anything from inner tubes to kayaks. They have several calls each week to rescue someone in trouble for one reason or another. When they first asked me to come down I was told they have rocks in the river. Now in Illinois when you say you have rocks in the river we tend to think of rocks in the form of river rocks which typically lie beneath the surface making it difficult to run a boat over. So I accepted their request made the arrangements and set the date. Linda and I set off on this little adventure and arrived at Harper's Ferry just before dark the night before we were to meet the Department Chief and his team. As I was passing over the Potomac on a bridge the sun was just going down and I caught a glimpse of my challenge. All I could say was "Holy **** those aren't rocks there boulders"! I was more than a little intimidated by what I saw.  this was not a few rocks, what I laid my eyes on was a whitewater challenge. I went to sleep that night with visions of my host having to rescue me.


No comments:

Post a Comment