Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The end of a really bad day hovering

Home well now that presented another problem, I had to call my wife and tell her what had just happened. I had to call Linda! Suddenly I wished I had sunk with the hover in the water facing God at this point would have been much easier than trying to explain to my sweetheart what a fool her hero was. I dialed the number and when she answered I said in a rather meek voice “Hello honey there is something I have to tell you” now bad news is hard enough to share with the ones you love, but for them to receive it second hand is even worse not to mention the fact that when they find out about it second hand they feel like maybe their not all that important. Picture this if you will. I have just spent the last two and a half hours apologizing to my youngest son for trying to drowned him and his friends, holding a one ton hover and thousands of gallons of water with my bare hands, and fishing my $50,000+ investment out of the muddy river, and what does the queen of my life say? “Why didn’t you call me?” all I could think of was “Are ya kiddin me!” after all that happened in a short period of time now I had to deal with a wife who was angry hurt and worried sick. I have to admit if I hadn’t drowned my cell phone she would have been the first person I would have called but as it turned out this was really just the icing on the cake my really bad day hovering finally reached it’s climax and I was ready to head home and face the next sinking ship. You know the old saying “A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work” I’ve often said the same about hovering. After this day I must admit I would rather have been at work that day than out hovering. I seriously wanted to run away and never and I mean never hover again. And I didn’t for at least two days cause I still had to be at that County Fair and fly over that damn dam again! Now I had to go show off my hovers and tell everybody how wonderful it is to own and fly hovercrafts. “Good God give me strength and if it be your will let this cup pass from me” that was my prayer that night unfortunately I got the same results as the first guy that prayed it and with that I pulled into the driveway to face the angry crowd of one. Hi honey I’m home!
Looking back on it I guess it could have been worse and as it turned out my hover actually was able to be repaired with a new window and about $1,000 fiberglass repair, my son has gone on to fly hovers again and so have I, and my wife (what a sweetie) when I got home she just hugged me and was glad I was okay. All in all it was an experience I have tucked away in my memory of hovering. Writing this has been very therapeutic so thanks for helping me drag it out into the open again I’m sure someday I will look back on this really bad day hovering and not get the sick feeling in my stomach but I don’t see that happening in the near future.

Check out our You Tube video "hovering on ice the Rock River" and "Muddy water backwater adventure" they show up on the video bar on the top right of the blog
Happy hovering  
 Me flying with a friends daughter two days after the really bad day on the same river in the same location. And yes we flew over the dam! Some things are just too much fun to only do once! And no I have never flown my 800 here again.

No comments:

Post a Comment